Connie Phan - 10/10/2011
Activities and contribution
1. Installed Android SDK and ADT in Eclipse
2. Completed HelloWorld app in Android and ran it on the emulator
3. Completed transaction related use cases
4. Met with team to go over Registration and Post book use case
5. Discussed with team technologies to use for the project. We agreed on using Java for backend code aside from Android front end.
6. Bought 2 books to get ramp up on Android development.
Beginning Android Application Development (Wrox Programmer to Programmer) by Wei-Meng Lee
Android Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach by Dave Smith
Started reading the book by Wei-Meng Lee. Chapter 1 of the book was for installing the SDK and ADT, and creating HelloWorld app. I am half way through chapter 2 which is talking about activity and intent.
What are the challenges encountered
1. One of the most time consuming piece was getting the HelloWorld app to install on the emulator. I am targeting Android 3.2. Since the
emulator takes about 5 minutes to start, the intallation of HelloWorld keeps failing because Eclipse is trying to install the app before the emulator is completely loaded. I was researching online for a solution, some suggested to launch the emulator first before running the app from Eclipse. Unfortunately I wasn't quite sure how to do it. After about 2 hours of trying, I finally got it working my change the AVD configuration to manual so I can stop Eclipse from launching a new emulator.
2. Some other issues were I ran the app while having the main.xml file opened in the editor. This caused Eclipse to automatically create main.out.xml and the runtime keeps complaining about there is already an entry. Research online recommended to delete the main.out.xml file, close main.xml, open a java file, then run the app. It worked after that. Also, it took me about 20 mins to figure out F12 is to unlock the emulator.
Plan for the next 7 days
1. Finish reviewing the use cases.
2. Continue to read and work on examples from the books to get more familiar with Android
3. Research on providing and consuming web services for Android
4. Set up preliminary Android project and check into SVN
Individual metrics
1. Completed transaction related use cases
No comments:
Post a Comment